Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Through a Child's Eyes



I love the innocence of children. It's such fun to listen as they express themselves. And it all depends on how they perceive things, how they hear things and how they relate those things to each event! Even before they are able to talk, they express themselves through expressions and actions. Some friends of ours at church have a little boy named Luke. He has the most expressive eyes I've ever seen in a child. His eyes are a beautiful blue, I call them ice blue, and even before he could talk he always appeared on the verge of just bustin' out talking. His eyes are SO alive! He is a handsome little guy.



Our granddaughter, Abbi, who is four years old, is always coming up with some of the cutest sayings, and it is a result of how she processes information and how she relates one thing to another.

One day when Abbi was three years old, as we were driving down the road, she and Nana were looking at a photo album of Abbi's baby pictures. Abbi looked at one photo and said, "When I was born, I was born in Texas." Nana said, "That's right. You were born in Texas." She turned a page in the book and it showed a photo of Abbi as she lay in the scales to be weighed right after birth. Abbi looked at the photo and said, "Right after I was born they put me in that SKILLET!" I suppose to her, the scales looked something like a skillet! At any rate it sure was cute!

Another time she said, "Nana, you can't touch my arm. Jesus made it, but if you touch it, it WILL break!"

She had finished her breakfast the other morning, but I was still eating. She brought a book and laid it on the table next to me and said; "Papa, you can't touch it!" I wasn't paying much attention to her, so she reaches up her little hand and turns my face to where she can look right in my eyes and with the most serious look on her face, says, "Papa, if you touch it, I'll have to take away your "Diggi" medal!" THAT got my attention, though I had no idea what a "Diggi" medal was. As soon as she turned away I reached out and touched the book. She instantly spun around and with her head down, and looking up at me very sternly, she said: "Papa, if you touch it again I'll have to take away BOTH of your "Diggi" medals!" Of course, to me it was just extremely cute! But to her, the possibility of having one's "Diggi" medals taken away was a sure fire way to make one obey!

I wish I could remember all the cute things she says and does in the course of a day, but there are just too many!

All too soon that childish innocence is lost in this world. I cherish every bit of life I get to glimpse through the eyes of a child, through the eyes of my beautiful granddaughter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right about Luke and now that he is talking and can get all those amazing thoughts out, I am even more amazed!!!