Saturday, January 15, 2011

Checkin' the Deer Feeder


YEP! It's workin!

My 4 year old granddaughter came in from a birthday party for one of her little friends today, dressed as a butterfly, complete with wings and antenna. Totally CUTE! We talked about the party for a bit and she then decided she wanted Nana & Papa to go for a walk with her. We went outside and she decided we needed to go check the deer feeder to see if there were any deer at it! So, we walked out in the field and Nana showed her where the deer jump the fence to come to the feeder. She decided that Nana should "guard" one side of the trail and I should "guard" the other side of the trail while she, being the "deer hunter", went to check out the feeder! She was SO cute as she walked a little ways and stopped. She looked down and said, "Now that's what I call deer poop!"



She called for me to come to the feeder because she wanted to turn the crank that raises or lowers the feeder. So, I showed her how to do it and she started turning the crank and letting the feeder down. I didn't realize it was time for the feeder to cycle and so it caught us both by surprise when it started throwing out feed! She quickly let go of the crank to draw her arms against her chest and put her head down while the feeder showered us with corn! I grabbed the crank to keep from letting the feeder hit the ground. After it quit spitting out corn she looked up at me with a big grin and said, "WOW! Papa, that was COOL!"



We then went on to see if we could spot the deer who "live in Sherwood Forest"! That's the woods just beyond our property line.



We didn't see any deer, but we found some very interesting logs to balance on and duck underneath and some "tickle grass" which she just HAD to bring home. We looked at the creek which she wanted to wade across "like a deer does" and looked in the "springhouse" which she also thought was "cool".



She finally decided she was getting cold and thought it a good idea to come back to the house.



I cherish these times spent together! She is growing so fast and I know the day is coming when she'll have less time to spend with us, because she'll want to spend more time with her friends. I know that won't happen for a few more years, but .... wasn't it just yesterday that I saw and held her for the first time and she stole my heart away?

No comments: