Friday, January 14, 2011

The Bully of the Bird World



We usually try to keep a little feed out for the birds during the winter months. It's fun to watch their interaction with one another. Of course, as in the world WE live in, there are those more dominate or should I say DOMINATING than others.




As a general rule, the birds feed and interact with one another without much bickering. The Northern Cardinals can be aggressive toward one another, but they generally leave the other birds alone.




We have one male Cardinal every year (I wonder if it's the SAME one) that is SO absolutely cocky that it's funny. He even tries to intimidate other species, and when they don't pay him any mind, he will hop up on the side of the feeder and raise his topknot as if to say.; "Hey, What's the deal? Don't you know who I am?" The other birds just go about their business of eating. He reminds me of some..... no...no, I'm not going there!




And then there is the most obnoxious, irritating, puffed up bully of all!! The Bluejays! When they fly to the tree adjacent to the feeder, ALL of the other birds vacate the premises! Then the bully sweeps in and begins to GORGE itself on the feed! It's feeding habits are disgusting, like a person who chews with their mouth open or smacks while eating!




I know they have to eat as well as the others, but their ATTITUDE just drives me nuts! I will sometimes wait until they land on the feeder and then JUST BEFORE they start gorging themselves, I'll throw a small pillow or something at the window and scare the daylights out of them! Hee-hee!!


I never have been able to tolerate a BULLY!!


No comments: