Monday, April 20, 2009

SPRING!!! Again?

Well, a week or so back the weather teased us a little and made us think spring was here. Then it turned cold on us. However, I know not to pay much attention to a warm day or two. For me, the real sign that spring has arrived is when the walnut trees put out leaves. The young ones are just now starting to leaf and the mature ones have yet to make a showing. But.... the gardening bug bit me and so I've started my garden in hopes that all the frost and freezes are behind us. I've got taters up, onions up, carrots up and corn, squash, green peas and some tomatos and sweet peppers planted. I love spring and I love gardening, though you would never know it by listening to me moan and groan at the end of a day spent plowing, planting or weeding! In a few weeks the squash will be maturing, and the tomatos and other stuff I like won't be far behind. Yum-yum. And when that "Gotta have it" sweet corn matures... OH YEAH!! I can't resist eating that first ear right there in the garden!

Here in our little valley we are about two weeks behind as far as things blooming out. It is just cold enough here to hold things back a little. Brenda's lilacs are just now blooming and my iris' are just now beginning to show buds. We get to see everyone else's flowers and then we get to enjoy our own! How cool is that?

Lovey enjoyed being outside today, even though it was a little windy. Ok, it was VERY windy! But that child loves the outdoors and she never slows down once she gets outside. What a joy it is to watch her romp and run and to hear that little voice calling, "Chase me, Pa!" She loves to play "tag" and she has learned to "trick" us, by bending over, looking at the ground and saying, "Oh look at this. Isn't it pretty?" Then when you come to see "it" she will jump up and touch you and shout, "Tag. You're it!" She seems never to tire of that game. She doesn't understand why Pa and Nana need to sit down and rest now and then. To her it seems such a waste of good play time! And besides, if she DOES get tired, Pa can always carry her or pull her in the wagon! Problem solved!!

I look at Lovey and I can't help but wonder what the world holds if the Lord should tarry much longer. I must be truthful... Sometimes a feeling of fear tries to worm it's way into my mind as I realize how much evil is in the world today and how vulnerable our little ones are. It is such a relief to know that God is in control of the life of those who invite Him to live within. With all the turmoil in the world today and such uncertainty as to what lies ahead, I am so glad to have the promise of my Lord, that He will never leave me nor forsake me, but will go with me to the end! The promises and the person of God are the only REAL certainties we have. We have no promise of life on this earth tomorrow. But that does not leave us destitute! For we DO have a promise of eternal life in Christ! If you have not availed yourself of that promise, won't you do so today? When you do, share your decision with someone!

Have a blessed day.

No comments: