Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Planting Potatoes & Putting Things In Perspective

Every year I try to plant a garden since we enjoy the fresh veggies and we always try to can or freeze as much as possible for the coming winter.
This year I keep hearing that produce & veggies will be costlier than ever and I have even seen those higher prices at the stores already.

So this year I decided to plant by the signs according to the Farmers Almanac in hopes of harvesting a good crop. I usually just put the seed in the ground & hope for the best.

According to the signs, yesterday was THE day for planting root crops, so I planted potatoes and carrots, the two root crops we usually grow.

I prepared the spot in the garden for the potatoes and planted them and then planted the carrots.

Then it was off to other spring chores of which there are PLENTY!

We then had to pick our granddaughter up at school as the kids got out early, but her mom, who is a school teacher had meetings until later last evening. After we returned home, I went back to doing chores and Ab's and Nana went to the "Playhouse" for some fun.

Each time I would pass close enough for Ab's to see me, she would shout, "Hey Papa! How's your work going?" She was just "itching" for me to tell her she could come with me. But I had so much to do, I decided it was better to let her stay with Nana.

They finally went to the house, so Nana could fix supper. I continued working and when I finally went to the house to wash up, they had already given up on me and had set down to eat. Nana had fixed a wonderful supper of fried deer steaks, mashed potatoes, blackeyed peas, gravy and iced tea! Wow! Was it ever GOOD! Nana is a GREAT cook!

As for putting things in perspective...After we finished eating, I was sitting just trying to relax and drinking one more glass of that cold iced tea. Ab's sidled up to me and said, "Papa, you want to play with me?" I said, "Oh, baby girl, Papa has worked hard all day and I really don't feel like playing." Without missing a beat she said, "Papa, we don't have to play hard..... we can just do something BORING!

I guess that pretty much put things in perspective, huh?

No comments: