Friday, October 16, 2009

When the Music Stops

In our men's Sunday School Class at First Baptist Church in Flippin, Arkansas, we are studying from the book of Psalms. The series name for the lessons we are currently studying is aptly named "When the Music Stops". It is an awesome study and we have such a great group of guys, it is such a joy to meet every Sunday.

Many different events can cause the "music" in our life to stop! But let us always be reminded that the One who gives the music in the first place is never far away. And He knows when to "strike up the band" again, and when to give the choir the nod!

The other day, my little granddaughter, Abigail, had disobeyed me in something and I had to scold her. That will break a grandpa's heart! After I scolded her, she walked out of the room with her head down. After a few minutes, she returned and through her tears said, "Papa, can you hold me?" Of course, I picked her up and held her close. She snuggled in close and laid her head on my chest. I explained to her why I had scolded her and she said, "Papa, I'm sorry!" I thanked her for apologizing and assured her that I still loved her. She raised her head up and smiled a huge smile and said, "Papa, You're happy again!!

I thought how I sometimes act the same way. I'm disobedient and then when my heavenly Father scolds me, I sometimes walk away, think it through and realize that, in fact, I deserved the scolding! So, it's back to the Father to say, "I'm sorry", and many times that is said through my tears. I'm not ashamed of my tears. I never want my heart to become so hardened that I lose the cleansing that shedding tears of repentance brings. I'm not ashamed to shed tears in public, such as in a worship service, as I have nothing to prove to anyone. I want my heart to always be pliable in the hands of my Father!

Now, I'm almost 60 years old, but I have to tell you; "There is nothing more comforting than to be be held (spiritually speaking) in the arms of my Father, and have Him minister to my heart that He still loves me!" And that is not just a metaphor! One can actually sense and feel the presence of God when one approaches Him in true repentance or true worship. I don't believe that ones relationship with God should be based on feelings, but on the other hand, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for a relationship with NO FEELING! As I set here writing this, I'm listening to a Don Moen worship cd and God's presence is SO real in my heart! Thank you, Lord for your presence!!

Whatever the reason that the "music stops" in your life; when it happens, it is time to seek God and determine through prayer and a contrite spirit, the cause and allow God to restore us until the "music" is once more playing in our heart and spirit, and worship is once more a natural occurence as we spend time with God each day.

When the music of heaven plays, my soul dances, my heart leaps like the deer and I am blessed and at rest. PLAY ON HEAVENLY BAND!! SING THROUGH ME HOLY SPIRIT!! OH GOD, HOW I LOVE YOU!! MY LORD, HOW I ADORE YOU!!

My prayer for you is that you are never without the "music" of life from heavenly places!!

God bless and keep you is my prayer!

If perhaps you are reading this and you have never experienced the "music" because you have never known Christ as your personal saviour, then I invite you to give your life to Him and let Him start the "music" playing in your heart. It's a simple thing to do. Just confess with your mouth, the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved!

No comments: